Annual Scubadillo Dive Club U/W pumpkin carving and October fest
October 12 @ 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Come join us Saturday for the Scubadillo Dive Club’s annual Underwater Pumpkin-Carving Contest and October fest feast at Tyler State Park at the Lakeview Campground (look for our yellow club banners and signs or bright yellow shirts).
The activities will begin around the Noon hour as contestants begin cleaning out their pumpkins at the Scubadillo event area (look for yellow banners and small yellow signs) in the Lakeview Campground. Participants and spectators will then move over to the beach area of the park’s lake and gear up for our contest in the sandy area of the swim area. The dive will begin at 2 PM and contestants will have 1 HOUR to create their masterpiece underwater. Great prizes will be awarded for winning pumpkins (Scubadillo members only, prorated memberships available at $20 SINGLE OR $30 FAMILY) – https://scubadillos.givingfuel.com/scubadillo-dive-club ).
2019 Underwater Pumpkin Carving Rules
- Divers cannot cut themselves or their buddy.
- The pumpkin must not be carved before divers get into the water.
- Divers cannot draw on the pumpkin before getting into the water. No stencils.
- Divers must bring all big chunks of pumpkin back to the surface.
- All props must be attached to the pumpkin before surfacing.
- You have 1 hour to carve your masterpiece.
- One prize per Pumpkin.
- This year theme (TBA) looking carved pumpkin
- Have fun
- One prize per pumpkin, so a buddy team can bring down two pumpkins to enter into the contest individually, or a buddy team can work on just one pumpkin for just one prize
- Illuminated pumpkins will be judged approximately 7 PM after the sun goes down.
We need a headcount for those divers participating in the pumpkin contest, so please email David Prichard at [masked] by Wednesday evening to confirm how many pumpkins will be in the water.
The October fest Feast will be held back at our event site at the Lakeview Campground and the Scubadillos will again feature our tasty Octoberfest Stew that we had last year, plus some brats and hot dogs on the grill. We ask those attending the dinner to bring a side dish or dessert to share with everyone (preferably in the theme of Octoberfest but all is welcome).
There is currently no burn bans in East Texas, so we anticipate having a campfire that everyone can socialize around after our meal and pumpkin judging. If you come early, bring your own lunch/snacks and favorite beverages for the day. Don’t forget a comfy camp chair for everyone in your group. Divers should prepare for water temps in the upper 70s.
Tyler State Park is located approximately 90 miles east of Dallas just north of I-20 and can be a day trip for some while others will be camping out at the park or staying in nearby hotel rooms. Each campsite is allowed two tents, so there can be some sharing of campsites.